Pages

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Being Brave at Abingdon Air Show

On Sunday I was lucky enough to be able to play at Abingdon Air Show with Abbey Brass, the brass band that I belong to. It was a fantastic day during which we not only played 3 short sets, but were able to listen to other musicians as well as visiting all the stalls. One of my favourite music groups was a group playing traditional folk instruments and dancing- very interesting.

The organisers requested that we played the piece 'Braveheart' which they'd heard at our last concert. The music is taken from the 1995 film of the same name which starred Mel Gibson. Its very moving and I very much enjoy playing it, especially since may instrument gets some of the tune near the beginning in the version we play. The movie's not bad either, in my opinion.

Anyway, this got me thinking about film music in general. On radio 2 this morning I heard the latest Take That single, featured in the latest X-men film. It was another film theme tune, that of Stardust, which got me interested in the Take That reunion- I loved the song when I went to see the movie and was surprised when I discovered who sang it. I can work the other way round as well. I enjoyed the song 'Everything I Do' by Bryan Adams and when I heard it in the film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves then it quickly became my favourite Robin Hood movie at the time. The insperability of movie and music in many people's minds can clearly be seen by the fact that Andrew Lloyd Webber kept many of the original film songs when he took 'The Wizard of Oz' to the stage. Incidentally  'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', taken from this movie, was another song that Abbey Brass featured at the air show.

Do you have a favourite movie song?

No comments:

Post a Comment